How to Become a Python Developer
Python Interview Questions
Python Interview Questions
Once you have been invited for a Python Developer job interview, you’ll need to brush up on your programming language knowledge and review your projects and achievements. The interview format will vary depending on the company. Typically, you can expect an on-site and/or take-home coding challenge. In addition, you will likely also be asked Python interview questions that assess essential soft skills, such as communication and teamwork.
To ace the interview, you should know the ins and outs of Python, including frameworks, data structures, functions and libraries. You will be asked a mix of questions that test your knowledge and understanding, as well as your technical abilities. For technical questions, it is usually more important to clearly explain your thought process than arrive at the correct solution.
When prepping, practice a range of interview questions and answers, including programming and behavioral questions. You should also go over your Python projects. You will be asked about your past work, so practice talking about your projects and successes.
To help you prepare for the interview, we have put together a list of common Python Developer interview questions.
List of Python Programming Interview Questions: Python Interview Questions
When interviewing for a position in python development, you can expect interview questions that test your knowledge in all areas of Python.
Top Python interview questions may include:
- What is Python? What are the benefits of using Python?
- What are the key features of Python?
- What is PEP 8?
- What is the difference between list and tuples in Python?
- How is memory managed in Python?
- What is pickling and unpickling?
- What are the tools that help to find bugs or perform static analysis?
- What are Python namespaces? Why are they used?
- What is lambda in Python? Why is it used?
- Explain how to delete a file in Python.
- What is PYTHONPATH?
- What are python modules? Name some commonly used built-in modules in Python.
- What are local variables and global variables in Python?
- What is the difference between Python Arrays and lists? *Explain what Flask is and its benefits?
- Is Django better than Flask?
- Mention the differences between Django, Pyramid and Flask.
- What is the difference between NumPy and SciPy?
- How can you copy an object in Python?
- How can you convert a string?
- Is Python and multi-threading a good idea? List some ways to get some Python code to run in a parallel way.
- What is monkey patching in Python and is it ever a good idea?
- What would you say are the most common mistakes made using Python?
List of Python Interviews Questions: Technical Skills Questions
You will need to show that you have the right technical skills to back up your knowledge. Examples of technical, frequently asked Python and data science interview questions are:
- Write a program to produce Fibonacci series in Python.
- Write a program in Python to check if a number is prime.
- Write a program in Python to check if a sequence is a Palindrome.
- How would you display a file’s contents in reversed order?
- How would you perform unit testing on your Python code?
- How do you keep track of different versions of your code?
- Using pseudo-code, reverse a String iteratively and recursively.
- A palindromic number reads the same both ways. The largest palindrome made from the product of two 2-digit numbers is 9009 = 91 × 99. Find the largest palindrome made from the product of two 3-digit numbers.
- How do you debug a Python program?
- How would you sort a dictionary in Python?
- What are the data types in Python?
- Implement slicing in Python.
- Write a Python function and explain what’s going on.
- Reverse a string in Python.
- Check if a Python string contains another string.
- Implement breadth first search in Python.
- Implement depth first search in Python.
- Implement wildcards in Python.
- Implement merge sort in Python.
- Find the height of a binary search tree.
List of Python Interview Questions: Personal Questions
You may be asked questions about your programming background and work style. The interviewers are assessing how well you would fit in with the company, so remember to show your passion and enthusiasm. Top Python interview questions in this area include:
- How long have you spent coding primarily in Python?
- Do you use Python in any of your personal projects?
- Tell me something you don't like about Python.
- What can you offer us that nobody else can?
- Tell me a little about yourself.
- How would people describe you?
- Would you say you work better independently or on a team?
- What’s your biggest weakness?
- Describe your work style.
- What do you do in your spare time?
- What motivates you?
- Where do you see yourself in five years?
- What project are you most proud of?
- What can we expect from you in the first three months?
- Do you like to participate in the analysis, design and deployment phases of a project, or do you prefer to concentrate on the pure development of a well-described task? Why?
List of Python Interview Questions: Leadership and Communication
Whether you’re managing a project or interacting with other teams, strong leadership and communication are needed to thrive as a Python Developer. To test your leadership and communication skills, expect interview questions such as:
- What do you do if there's a disagreement within your team?
- Are you comfortable giving in-depth presentations?
- Are you able to explain complex technologies in simple terms?
- What is your preferred way of communication with the team?
- How do you convince someone to agree with you?
- How to deal with a team member who disagrees with you?
- Have you ever worked directly with clients or have been in a customer-facing role in the past? If not, would you like to?
- Pretend I’m not a tech person. Can you explain [Python concept] in simple terms?
- What was the last presentation you gave?
- What are the qualities of a successful team or project leader?
List of Python Interview Questions: Behavioral
Behavioral interview questions focus on how you have handled past work situations. These help to reveal your personality and skills. They also give the interviewers an idea of how you might behave if a similar situation were to occur in the future. To answer behavioral interview questions, select a specific example and describe the actions you took and the results you achieved.
Examples of behavioral interview questions are:
- What was the most interesting project you have participated in? Can you describe it and tell me why you consider it to be so interesting?
- Do you remember a programming project decision you made that was a failure? Why do you think it was a mistake? What did you learn from the experience?
- Tell me about a time when you handled a challenging situation.
- Tell me about a time when you were in conflict with a peer and how the situation was resolved.
- Tell me about a time you had to work under pressure.
- Give me an example of a time you made a decision that was unpopular. Explain how you handled implementing it.
- Share an example of how you were able to motivate a coworker or your team.
- Tell me about a goal you achieved and how you achieved it.
- Tell me about a goal you failed to achieve.
- Tell me about a time you felt you went above and beyond.
List of Python Interview Questions From Top Companies (Amazon, Google, Facebook, Microsoft)
If you’re curious about the skills and expertise top tech companies are looking for in job candidates, here are a few interview questions from Amazon, Google, Facebook and Microsoft.
- Why do we use join() function in Python?
- Give an example of shuffle() method?
- How do you find bugs or perform static analysis in a Python application?
- What are the different ways to create an empty NumPy array in Python?
- What are the principal differences between the lambda and def?
- What is the output of L[1:] if L = [1,2,3]?
- How would you take input from the user in Python?
- How do you terminate a line of code in Python?
- Merge two sorted linked lists.
- Write a function that counts the total of set bits in a 32-bit integer.
- Given a string as your input, delete any recurring character and return the new string.
- Tell me about a time when you took a risk and failed.
- What is the most complex thing you know a lot about? Teach me about it.
- What scares you?
- Given a list and a number, find two numbers in the list that sums up to the number given.
- What steps do you take to keep your skills current?
- What motivates you to excel in a role?
- Tell me about a project where your initial assumptions ended up being incorrect. How did you move forward after?
Kick-Start Your Python Developer Career
We offer a wide variety of programs and courses built on adaptive curriculum and led by leading industry experts.
- Work on projects in a collaborative setting
- Take advantage of our flexible plans and scholarships
- Get access to VIP events and workshops
Recommended Courses for Python Developer
The Python certificate course provides individuals with fundamental Python programming skills to effectively work with data.
The Data Science bootcamp is an intensive course designed to launch students' careers in data.
Taught by data professionals working in the industry, the part-time Data Science course is built on a project-based learning model, which allows students to use data analysis, modeling, Python programming, and more to solve real analytical problems.
The part-time Data Analytics course was designed to introduce students to the fundamentals of data analysis.