Canadians have a habit of buying popular bestsellers—and never finishing them.
According to Kobo’s inaugural Book Report, Canadians may wait days, months, or even until the following year to finish certain titles.
“A book’s position on the bestseller list may indicate it’s bought, but that isn’t the same as it being read or finished,” explains Michael Tamblyn, President and Chief Content Officer, Kobo. “A lot of readers have multiple novels on the go at any given time, which means they may not always read one book from start to finish before jumping into the next great story. And many reserve that inalienable reader’s right to set down a book if it doesn’t hold their interest.”
The typical bestseller list often looks different when you compare books purchased versus books read cover-to-cover. While mystery author Sue Grafton is not on the Kobo Book Report’s Bestseller List, three of her novels make the Most Completed Book List, meaning that hers were more often read from start to finish. Donna Tartt’s, The Goldfinch was the most downloaded and least completed novel of 2014. While the novel was critically acclaimed, it is likely the length of the novel (at a whopping 784 pages in the print edition) that proved daunting for some.
Overall, the ebook market makes up about $14.5 billion in sales globally and is expected to reach more than $22 billion by 2017, Kobo reports.
“The advances that we’re seeing year-over-year are incredible, with more publishers, users and new technology changing the face of the industry at an unprecedented pace,” says Tamblyn.
2014’s Bestsellers in Canada
1. Gone Girl – Gillian Flynn
2. The Fault in Our Stars – John Green
3. Insurgent – Veronica Roth
4. Allegiant – Veronica Roth
5. Divergent – Veronica Roth
6. The Goldfinch – Donna Tartt
7. Written in My Own Heart’s Blood – Diana Gabaldon
8. The Rosie Project – Graeme Simsion
9. The Husband’s Secret – Liane Moriarty
10. Philomena – Martin Sixsmith
Canada’s Most Completed Books of 2014
1. Lover Awakened – J.R. Ward
2. Eleven on Top – Janet Evanovich
3. K is for Killer – Sue Grafton
4. Iron Kissed – Patricia Briggs
5. F is for Fugitive – Sue Grafton
6. Sweet Possession – Maya Banks
7. C is for Corpse – Sue Grafton
8. Chasing Perfect – Susan Mallery
9. Plum Spooky – Janet Evanovich
10. The Janus Stone – Elly Griffiths