So what happened over the summer in the Daily Deals business in Canada?
- Plenty of like Buytopia and Living Deal across the country.
- The aggressive expansion of travel deals across the daily deal industry.
- A growth in sales for July, a horrible sales month in August and a banner month across the industry for September.
So yes, the summer brought on some interesting developments. Some of these developments included the popularity of certain category of deals. Over the summer months of July, August and September, just two categories dominated the top deals sold; travel deals and beauty deals. Yes, restaurants are still extremely popular, but travel and beauty deals bring in the sales volume.
Group Buying Canada published an infographic showing the top daily deals in Canada for the summer months of July, August and September. They only published deals that brought over $200,000 in sales.
1. Groupon dominated the top sales across Canada (not in Quebec though… that territory belongs to Tuango). Note that most of Groupon’s top sales in Canada are from online travel deals and thus were open to US and Canadian consumers. Groupon sales shown therefore incorporate both Canada and US sales for those specific deals.
2. Travel dominates the top sales categories.
3. Beauty service (spa, laser treatments, etc) comes in 2nd.
4. Torstar properties Wagjag and Jaunt.ca produced a good amount of top deals over the summer.
5. Tuango continues to impress with 3 deals over $200,000 for the summer. Yes, this is rather impressive because Tuango only has one large market, Montreal. Tuango made the list 3 times whereas other top sites like Living Social, Teambuy, DealoftheDay did not produce any deals over this amount over the summer.