Impact8’s third cohort graduated from the eight-week accelerator after demoing their social innovations to an audience of accredited investors and industry stakeholders this week at the MaRS Centre.
Following the demos, Vizwik (Agora Mobile) received the $10,000 grand prize as determined by its Impact8 peers.
“This year’s Impact8 startups continue to expand Canada’s pipeline of investment-ready impact ventures and I am delighted to see these innovations in work & learning seeded to investors,” said Tim Jackson, EVP Corporate and Community Development, MaRS and Lead Executive, MaRS Centre for Impact Investing.
“The Impact8 program was an amazing experience packed full of learning and practical knowledge provided by industry experts who have been there,” said Simon Gauvin, CEO, Agora Mobile.
This cohort includes the following ventures:
- Vizwik (by Agora Mobile), a social learning platform that teaches users to create, test, share and sell cross-platform (Android, Apple, BlackBerry, Windows) apps using a visual coding and development tool.
- Cube for Teachers, an interactive database and professional learning network created for K-12 educators to simplify how teaching resources are shared, stored and accessed for greater efficiency and better learning outcomes.
- Forward Vision Games, cloud-based simulation games that improve financial literacy and decision-making to enable financial and entrepreneurial capacity among Canadian high school and post-secondary students, with a particular focus on First Nations students, content and communities.
- Higher Ed Points allows loyalty points from programs like Aeroplan to be redeemed to help students pay for their higher education at post-secondary education institutions and/or their student loan payments in Canada.
- Kids Great Minds delivers learning programs to inspire and educate kids about digital technology. Courses are designed to introduce new concepts and develop core competencies in many of today’s cutting edge technologies, including computer animation, programming, and 3D printing.
- QUIO enables teachers and instructors to create customized assessment tools and portfolios, and manage data into visual learning maps to articulate holistic evaluations of 21st century student learning and performance.
- Riipen, an online platform that connects companies with students and graduates through employer-created projects and paid work opportunities. The platform gives students the relevant means to demonstrate their skills and value, while enabling employers to find talent from a validated pool of candidates, rather than a resume.
- Textbooks for Change provides affordable and accessible textbooks for domestic and international students. Post-secondary textbooks are collected, and priced affordably and sold online.
Impact8’s next program will take place in Montreal.