Apple has just revealed the iPhone 5 to the world. They also revealed a bunch of eye-popping facts and figures related to their business, something they only do during quarterly reports and these big product events. We’ve highlighted some of the best ones below.
• Apple now has 380 retail stores in 12 countries. These stores saw 83 million visitors in the last fiscal quarter. Apple stores are by far the most profitable retail outlets per square foot in North America.
• Apple sold seven million copies of Mountain Lion. That makes it the fastest selling OS X ever. And, including the Air lineup, Apple boasted number one marketshare for notebooks in the US in the past three months with 27% of the market.
• Apple sold more iPads last quarter (17 million) than any PC manufacturer sold of their entire PC line. 84 million iPads have been sold in total (through June). And let’s keep in mind that this product category didn’t even exist 2.5 years ago.
• The iPad has miraculously managed to grow market share since 2011, despise competition doubling down in a thousand ways—up from 62% to 68%. The iPad accounts for 91% of all web traffic from tablets.
• There are now more than 700,000 apps on the App Store and over 250,000 for the iPad. Average users download more than 100 apps.
• Apple has sold over 400 million iOS devices through June.
Photo: Sarah Baker via Flickr