Eight startups have been selected to join the GrindSpaceXL accelerator program.
The program offers early-stage ventures the opportunity to work in a group environment while meeting deliverables laid out in a personalized development plan based on a needs assessment, according to Invest Ottawa, the organization behind the accelerator.
Invest Ottawa says that Ccntent focuses on four fundamental areas: market validation and go-to-market strategy; marketing communications and sales effectiveness; essential skills for success and sustainability; and financing and exit. 40 companies that applied for the Winter 2014 program.
“We are seeing more later-stage companies applying,” says Kevin Carroll, Managing Director of Innovation at Invest Ottawa. “I was impressed with the calibre of companies that were shortlisted to pitch. The fact that we are receiving applications from across Canada as well as from the US, India, Ukraine, and Ireland is an indication that the GrindspaceXL program is gaining traction within the start-up community.”
There have been four cohorts since program inception: two Beta cohorts were run with 12 companies, and the first call for application cohort ran in the Fall of 2013. Nine companies were invited to participate from the 30 applicants.
The following eight startups comprise Grind’s latest cohort:
- BankMine – BankMine’s product is a financial evaluation software solution, designed to simplify the sales process for financial advisors, while creating a clear financial plan for the consumer.
- Clear Pod – ClearPod develops environmentally sustainable solutions for septic system waste water treatment.
- Fast2eat – Fast2eat is online take-out ordering for food courts.
- Figure of Eight – Figure of Eight focuses on developing solutions to facilitate the medical billing process.
- PrepYourData – PrepYourData will enable businesses to clean up inconsistencies and errors in their data easily.
- SimpleBI – SimpleBI was built to address the fundamental needs of a client, by getting them on-board the system and up and running in a matter of hours.
- Travelabulous – Travelabulous provides an online and mobile personal travel concierge.
- Zamani Wireless Solutions – Zamani Wireless Solutions develops a disruptive intelligent wireless sensor technology platform with applications such as e-health, indoor location tracking and personnel detection security.
The Winter cohort began today and will run for four months.
Invest Ottawa delivers export-oriented economic development programs and initiatives that increase entrepreneurial momentum, wealth and jobs in the City of Ottawa and its surrounding region.