Reinvent Inc. is a private online media and advertising company with a strong track record of continual growth and profit. We own and manage one of the largest portfolios of web domains in the world and we aim to rethink, reconnect and redesign technology and business today. We work closely with the largest search engines to distribute paid search listings, making us one of the top partners in the $15b per year pay-per-click advertising industry. We are also developing many of our domain name properties, including Vancouver.com, where we are seeking a Managing Editor to lead in the growth and development of the site.
Located right in downtown Vancouver, with a killer view of the North Shore mountains, our space is filling up with a passionate, creative group of people who all set their alarms on Monday morning to get up for something more than just a pay cheque. We don’t just care about the work, we care about the people we work with. And pool. And hockey. And hockey pools. Go figure.
The Managing Editor will play a key role in defining the relevance and brand value of Vancouver.com. The incumbent will assume overall responsibility for editorial content, target advertising, data analysis, and will be positioned as an industry expert and spokesperson for the site.
Your Key Responsibilities:
- Reporting to and working closely with the COO to articulate and implement a long-term strategic plan that rapidly accelerates the site’s readership and community presence;
- Assume full editorial management responsibility, from strategic and conceptual product oversight to hands-on editing and editorial guidance;
- Bring a forward-thinking sensibility that embraces emerging Web 2.0 applications, including blogs, b2b community and networking capabilities, search, and other enhancements that will enhance the value and utility of the site;
- Work with the sales team to ensure advertisers are targeted to visitor demographics;
- Direct and motivate a staff comprised of a Sales Manager, Developers, Editorial Analyst, Reporters, Reviewers and freelance specialists to produce out compelling multimedia content that establishes Vancouver.com as the to-go-site for travel and tourism information in Vancouver;
- Networking with others in the industry and may be required to attend industry related seminars, conferences and trade exhibitions;
- Other related duties and responsibilities as required.
- A high-energy editorial manager with 10+ years of professional experience with at least including 5+ years as an editor in Internet publishing;
- Must possess a multi-year college diploma or Bachelors degree – graduate degree in journalism, publishing or business is desirable;
- Editorial credibility in the travel and tourism industry, particularly combining knowledge of travel/tourism and technology is strongly desired;
- A strong writing voice with the ability for setting the tone of the brand along with up-to-date knowledge of Internet publishing and usage patterns;
- Excellent presentation skills and the ability to be an effective and persuasive spokesperson in the press and at industry events;
- Prior experience as a reporter/journalist covering community stories similar sites or publications;
- Strong managerial, leadership skills and work ethic are required;
- Must be a hands-on coach and manager to the Vancouver.com team, willing and able to lead the team to perform in editorial content, advertising, and development;
- Ability to assist in the recruit, selection and retention of top talent;
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and time management skills.