Only 22% of Companies Have Formal Mobile Policies. The Other 78% are Making a Fatal Mistake

Just 22% of organizations have a formal mobility policy in place, according to the results of a Computing Technology Industry Association report titled “Trends in Enterprise Mobility” published this week. This means that 78% of businesses are making a huge mistake.

Numerous serious security concerns should be raise red flags for IT departments and policy handlers alike. And they are: 48% of those surveyed cite downloading unauthorized apps as a “serious concern,” while lost devices, mobile-targeted malware, and public wifi networks are all also major potential issues.

For these reasons and more, companies must consider implementing formal policies to mitigate risk. As CompTIA’s Seth Robsin notes, “organizations have to strike a balance between business objectives and security objectives, which may not always be in sync.”

“Currently, the primary motivation for a business to adopt a mobility strategy is to enable a mobile workforce and ensure smooth operations,” Seth says. “However, the ability to connect to customers in a mobile environment is increasingly important. So any mobility strategy must address the needs of two different groups with distinct needs and requirements.”

It wasn’t long ago that the only device an employee brought to work was a harmless cellphone. Now, data-wielding smartphones are ubiquitous, tablets are rapidly emerging in popularity, and bring-your-own-device trends are on the rise. A perfect storm is brewing, but organizations with foresight can elude disaster.

“Issues such as mobile device management and mobile security are really in the beginning stages,” Seth explains. “Mobile strategies also involve considerations such as mobile-optimized applications and the supporting infrastructure. Are you going to allow employees to bring their own mobile devices into the workplace? Which devices will you support?” These questions must be asked. And then they must be answered.