This video series is a practical guide on selling a business, the exit process, the exit team and how to sell for 50% more.
The video is from my keynote speech at the National Angel Capital Organization Annual Summit late last year.
Some of the topics include:
- Successful investing requires two things – investing right and exiting well
- Exiting well means selling a business at the right price but also in a reasonable amount of time
- Why its important to engage professionals and why the CEO should not lead the exit
- The exit is just another business process and why every company needs an exit strategy
- Term sheets create exit alignment and vesting is the most important term
- Who are the buyers for tech companies today?
- Corporate buyers are often the fiercest competitors for traditional Venture Capital funds
- Today, companies are often acquired just two or three years from start-up
- The most important criteria for selecting the M&A Advisor and the M&A Advisors functions
- M&A Advisor fees and why the M&A Advisor should be local
- The benefits of doing a secondary sale before the exit
- Things to do before contacting the first buyers – clean up the structure, employment agreements
- Financial statements – review or audit, the financial model, tax considerations, the sales collateral
- The sales funnel and ways to maximize the final selling price of the business
- Structural value increase, illuminating strategic value, capitalizing on inefficient markets
- Why you always need multiple bidders and the selling skill of the M&A Advisor
- Reps and warranties, the closing process, it’s recycling other resources on selling businesses
The video series on Selling a Business is online here.