The Okanagan Science & Technology Council announced the call for nominations for the Sixth Annual Silicon Vineyard Innovation Awards this week. The awards acknowledge excellence in innovation among individuals and organizations in the Okanagan – from Salmon Arm in the North to Osoyoos in the south. Nominations will be accepted until January 05, 2009. Winners will be announced at the awards gala to be held Thursday, March 12, 2009 (tentative) at the Coast Capri Hotel. Categories are as follows:
- OSTEC Member of the Year – acknowledges an organization or individual who has shown outstanding commitment to OSTEC through innovation, support, involvement and volunteer activities.
- Innovative Organization of the Year – recognizes a leading organization that has demonstrated innovation, leadership, sound business practices and community involvement in the research, development and/or application of science or technology.
- Innovator of the Year – recognizes a leading individual who has demonstrated innovation, leadership, sound business practices and community involvement in research of science or technology and/or the development and application of science or technology.
- Science and Technology Community Leadership Award – recognizes a leading individual or organization that has provided an outstanding contribution or service to the science and technology community, or community at large. This can be an innovative project, process, business practice or an exceptional standard of performance in their overall approach to social and/or environmental responsibility.
- Most Promising Emerging Technology of the Year – acknowledges a company that has developed a superior innovation, discovery or advancement in technology that is supported by sound planning for next stage development and commercialization.
Last year’s big winner was Club Penguin – so it will be interesting to see if the Vineyard has any other diamonds in the rough.