With Best Buy Canada offering up a Samsung Galaxy Pad for our Advent Calendar giveaway yesterday, they deserve a little extra love and it’s easy to share with their first-ever UNboxing Day Facebook contest this month.
The act of Unboxing – sharing videos online where people open new electronics – has garnered a cult-like following around the globe and has even been labeled a new form of “geek porn”. The oldest video on YouTube using the term “unboxing” is the opening of a boxed Nokia E61 smartphone, uploaded on June 12, 2006.
So what tech toys should Canadians be excited about unboxing over the holidays this year? Here’s what Best Buy thinks the Top 5 should be:
Apple TV ($119.99)
- Apple TV is the perfect gift for the TV and movie lover. The redesigned Apple TV is ultra-small and allows for content streaming from the computer, and allows users to rent the hottest selection of HD movies and television shows right to their widescreen TV.
Microsoft Kinect ($149.99)
- Get gaming fans off the couch and into the action with XBOX 360’s Kinect. Kinect’s unique sensor and specially designed games transform full body movement into game play and works with every XBox 360. The Kinect system for Xbox 360 comes with Adventures, a game full of 20 pulse-pounding actions.
Apple iPad 16GB ($549.99)
- First Apple gave us the iPod; then it was the iPhone. And now with its highly-anticipated, much blogged about tablet, the iPad, Apple is once again changing the way we work and play. Beyond its amazingly thin size, the iPad features an ultra-sharp touchscreen and incredible features that will let you discover apps like never before.
Call of Duty: Black Ops ($59.99)
- This Christmas season, Call of Duty action explodes into the 3rd dimension, with Call of Duty: Black Ops, now playable in Stereoscopic 3D on your XBOX 360, PS3 and PC.
Samsung Galaxy Tablet ($649.99)
- The latest tablet to hit the market, the Samsung Galaxy features PC-like web browsing and all forms of multimedia content on the perfectly sized seven-inch display including Adobe Flash. The tablet enables continuous communication via e-mail, voice and video call with its dual cameras, and through social networks with the optimized user interface. Works with a Wi-Fi connection and is available on a three-year mobile phone plan.
Two of these five tech toys are giveaways in the first-annual Techvibes Advent Calendar this year. Yesterday we offered up the Samsung Galaxy Tab. Of the remaining four on this list, what would you like to see offering up?