Techvibes has been following the progress (and regress) Vancouver video start-up Totlol and it’s Founder Ron Ilan over the past couple years.
- Totlol.com – YouTube for Kids – June 18, 2008
- Totlol leaves Testing for Beta – August 29, 2008
- The New Saturday Morning Cartoons – November 1, 2008
- Totlol matures on YouTube platform – January 12, 2009
- Totlol goes mobile for iPhones – April 6, 2009
- Totlol to shut down on Canada Day – June 7, 2009
- Totlol finds a way to monetize on YouTube – September 15, 2009
Today on his blog Ilan threw in the towel after a two-year roller coaster ride. The final chapter of the Totlol story is worth a read but Ilan cuts to the chase and sums it pretty concisely here.
When the YouTube API team saw Totlol they liked it. At about the same time someone else at Google saw it, realized the potential it, and/or similar implementations may have, and initiated a ToS modification. An instruction was given to delay public acknowledgement of Totlol until the modified ToS where published. Later an instruction was given to avoid public acknowledgement at all.