At the New Ventures BC event on Tuesday night in downtown Vancouver, successful entrepreneur and NVBC rep Bob de Wit gave some timely advice that some successful tech companies have used in order to move on to fame and fortune:
- Find mentors to expand your vision
- Don’t overplan – take action
- Hire people who are smarter than you.
- Tailor your elevator pitch to different audiences
- Play to win but be willing to risk failure
- Acknowledge the competition. Never say “there is no competition!”
- Don’t let the critics get you down. Use the feedback. Adapt and overcome.
- Have fun and don’t take yourself too seriously.
Note: these are also really good pieces of advice if you are running a business that might make less than $100 million. But as they say, aim for the stars and you’ll get the moon.