Today on the Huffington Post, Canadian Don Tapscott recommends what Barack Obama’s new CTO should do. Don Tapscott is the Chaiman of the Texas-based think tank nGenera Insight and has worked with government leaders around the world. He is currently leading a $4 Million syndicated program called Government 2.0: Wikinomics Government and Democracy.
The full post is worth a read but here’s the quick & dirty – Tapscott breaks it down into a framework comprised of five elements:
- Ensuring Access – A new technology strategy should ensure universal access to digital technologies, not just in the US but globally.
- Creating the conditions for a vibrant technology industry – To restore job growth, America needs a vibrant, innovative and growing technology sector.
- Fostering collaboration – We need to catalyze initiatives in areas such as science, the environment, education and health care so that the benefits of technology are brought to all citizens.
- Ensuring that technology serves people – Much legislation is due for a re-write to make it appropriate for the digital age.
- The Web-enabled Transformation of Government and Democracy – We need to use technology to dramatically modernize government and bring it into the digital era.
The Huffington Post had news of their own today – they announced that they have secured $25 million in funding from Oak Investment Partners. They’ll use the proceeds to invest in the growth of the company and for select and focused acquisitions.