As cellphones continue to take over our every waking moment, distracted driving becomes an increasing danger.
In Canada, it hurts your wallet to get caught texting while driving, with fees for first offences ranging from $100 to $543 and demerit points from three to five.
Below is a chart showing the fines and demerit points by province.
Fine (first offence)
|Prince Edward Island||$500||5|
Want more information on your province? Check out these sources below.
- British Columbia — Office of the Superintendent of Motor Vehicles
- Nova Scotia — Government of Nova Scotia
- Prince Edward Island — New Cell Phone Law
- Newfoundland and Labrador — Road Users Guide
- New Brunswick — New Brunswick Public Safety: Driver distraction
- Northwest Territories — Department of Transportation
- Saskatchewan — SGI Driver Distraction and Inattention