Nielsen Online released their Q1 2009 Canadian Mobile Internet Report yesterday and declared that mobile Internet adoption in Canada is reaching critical mass with 21% of mobile consumers using their mobile phones to browse the Web and access their email accounts.
The report shows adoption in categories and sites that consumers are familiar with and leverage the immediacy of the mobile platform – portals, email, weather, news and social networking are all categories that drive early adoption for mobile internet usage.
Highlights of the report include:
- Mobile Internet penetration increased from 16% in Q4 2008 to 21% in Q1 2009
- There are 3.9 Million unique mobile internet users in Canada
- Top categories accessed via the Mobile Web include: Portals, email, weather, news & current event and search
- Top mobile phone models in Canada: Apple iPhone 3G, BlackBerry 8100, LG Rumor Series, Motorola Razr V3 and Motorola KRZ R Series
- Windows Live Mail was the #1 site accessed on a Mobile phone in Q1 2009, with 1.4 million unique visitors. Google Search, Facebook, The Weather Network and Yahoo! Mail rounded out the top five.
What are your favorite sites to visit on your mobile device?