250 investors, mentors, and supporters recently packed MaRS Discovery District to capacity to hear 23 venture pitches from the The Next 36 and The Next Founders.
The event was Venture Day, an annual startup showcase held by The Next 36, which marks the culmination of an eight-month program designed to launch new businesses and develop Canada’s young entrepreneurs.
The day featured a keynote address by Anthony Lacavera, CEO of Globalive Holdings and Wind Mobile, who discussed his entrepreneurial journey and shared advice for “taking on the large incumbents.”
Top ventures and entrepreneurs were honoured with the following awards:
- The Next 36 Valedictorian: Tagg Jefferson, cofounder of GridCure
- The Next Founders Valedictorian: Jason Greenspan, CEO of Whoosh
- Mentor Service Award: Sarah Prevette, Ryan Poissant, Brad Ross
- Outstanding Alumni Award: Karl Martin, cofounder of Bionym
- Satchu Prize: Sameer Dhar, cofounder of Sensassure
- Outstanding Venture (The Next Founders): OTI Lumionics
- Outstanding Venture (The Next 36): GridCure
Applications are open for young entrepreneurs who wish to be part of the fifth cohort of The Next 36 in 2015. This year’s early application deadline is September 30.