How to Become a Web Developer
Web Developer Interview Questions
When hiring a new Web Developer, employers are seeking candidates who have the right qualifications, personality, and enthusiasm to thrive in the position. In a Web Developer interview, you can expect questions that assess both your technical and soft skills. For the technical portion, your Web Developer knowledge and skills will be put to the test. Employers may ask questions you can answer verbally, or you may be required to complete a whiteboard or coding problem. In whiteboard challenges, you will be given a code problem or task and asked to work out the problem and explain your solution. In order to assess important soft skills, such as communication and time management, employers may ask behavioral questions, where you have to recount specific examples from your past experiences. It is important that you practice answering both technical and behavioral interview questions. To help you prepare, we have put together a list of common Web Developer interview questions.
List of Web Developer Interview Questions: Development-Related Questions
- How would you describe the role of a Web Developer? What are the most important aspects of the job and why?
- What are the advantages of HTTP 2.0 over HTTP 1.1?
- What is the difference between ID and Class selector?
- What is the difference between null value and undefined value?
- How is HTML different from XHTML?
- What is an ETag and how does it work?
- What is the difference between responsive design and adaptive design?
- What is progressive rendering in HTML?
- What is the difference between span and div tag in HTML5?
- What are CSS selectors? Name some.
- Explain quirks, full standards, and almost standards mode.
- What is HTML5 Web Storage?
- What is the difference between ES5 and ES6?
- How do you organize your class modules and assets?
- How would you explain APIs to non-technical stakeholders?
- What is the difference between black box and white box testing?
- Please explain big-O notation in the simplest terms.
- What do you think will be the biggest trends in future web development?
- What is the biggest difference between developing for mobile and desktop?
- Provide a basic overview of push technology. What are its benefits and drawbacks?
- How can Page Visibility API be useful?
List of Web Development Interview Questions: Technical Questions
Technical interview questions put your knowledge to the test. In these questions, you need to explain how you would apply your skills for various problems or tasks. For technical interview questions, it’s important to clearly articulate your thinking and process. A few examples of technical Web Developer skills questions include:
- Can you describe your workflow when you create a web page or web app?
- What specific languages are you working with?
- Which web development tools do you use?
- If you have five different style sheets, how would you best integrate them into the site?
- How do you manage your time during a development cycle? What methods do you use for estimating how long specific development tasks will take?
- How do you take into account SEO, maintainability, UX design, performance, and security when you’re building a web application?
- As a Web Developer, how do you optimize your site’s loading time?
- How do you make sure your websites and applications are accessible to users?
- Walk me through the process of creating a web page from scratch.
- How do you check other people’s code for bugs?
- What user interface and security principles do you consider when building a website or online application?
- Give an example of a website or web application that you don’t like. What would you change?
List of Web Development Interview Questions: Personal Questions
A Web Developer often has to collaborate with other departments, so employers are seeking candidates that would be a good overall fit with the company. Personal questions can reveal a lot about a job candidate outside of their technical qualifications. Personal interview questions may include:
- Tell me about yourself.
- Talk about your preferred development environment.
- Tell me about the projects you’re working on (or have worked on) in your spare time.
- Where do you see yourself in five years?
- What are your interests outside of development?
- What kind of team environment do you thrive in?
- How do you keep on top of industry news and trends. How do you apply this to your work?
- What got you into coding? Why are you interested in a career as a Web Developer?
- What are your favorite types of projects to work on?
- Are there any particular projects at our company that you are excited about?
List of Web Development Interview Questions: Leadership and Communication
At any stage of your Web Developer career, leadership and communication skills are two important qualities to have. To assess your leadership and communication abilities, employers may ask questions such as:
- When have you solved a problem that didn’t involve coding?
- How would the Web Developers/Project Managers you have worked with describe you?
- How do you communicate your progress to clients and/or stakeholders?
- Give me an example of how you would describe web development to someone who is completely new to tech.
- Do you like working as part of a team while you’re coding? What do you think contributes to a successful team?
- How do you help your team members improve their coding skills?
List of Web Development Interview Questions: Behavioral
With behavioral interview questions, employers are seeking to understand how your past behavior may translate into the current position. Focus on explaining the situation or problem, how you handled it, and the result or outcome of your actions. Behavioral interview questions for Web Developers may include: Tell me about a project you're particularly proud of. What did you do that worked out well?
- Tell me about a project that disappointed you. What would you change?
- Tell me about a time you had to respond to negative feedback.
- Tell me about a time when you got stuck while coding. How did you work your way through the problem?
- Describe a time when you dealt with negative feedback.
- Describe a time when your program didn’t run. How did you troubleshoot your code?
- Has your team ever failed to meet a deadline? What went wrong and how did you address the situation?
- How do you handle conflicts on your team?
List of Web Development Interview Questions From Top Companies (Amazon, Google, Facebook, Microsoft)
To give you an idea of the range of questions that may come up during your interview, we have put together a few examples of Web Developer interview questions from some of the top tech companies.
- How would you implement integer division if your language did not offer it?
- Vertically and horizontally center an element on the screen using CSS.
- How would you make your web pages load fast?
- How would you make this markup more accessible?
- Outline how you would implement a chess game in a programming language of your choice.
- What is the importance of CSS selectors? Where do you use them?
- How would you reverse a linked list?
- Write the code to find the balance point of the array.
- How do you resolve conflicts with coworkers?
Kick-Start Your Web Developer Career
We offer a wide variety of programs and courses built on adaptive curriculum and led by leading industry experts.
- Work on projects in a collaborative setting
- Take advantage of our flexible plans and scholarships
- Get access to VIP events and workshops
Recommended Courses for Web Developer
The full-time Web Development program is an intensive, hands-on learning experience, designed to introduce the skills and concepts required to build modern web applications.
The part-time Web Development course is designed to provide a crash course in web development, with introductions to HTML, CSS, and the Bootstrap framework.
The part-time iOS Development course is designed to introduce students to the world of iOS development, including the Swift programming language, and the Xcode development tool.