How to Become a Data Analyst
Data Analyst Interview Questions
Once you have secured an interview for a Data Analyst position, there are few things you can do to prepare. You will want to research the company, review your data knowledge, skills, and projects, and practice some common Data Analyst interview questions.
Interview questions for Data Analyst positions will focus on both your technical skills and soft skills. The questions may range from testing your knowledge to learning about your past work and assessing how you would fit in with the company.
Because Data Analyst jobs can greatly vary from company to company, you should revisit the job description to understand the specific requirements and responsibilities. This will help you focus your interview preparation. For instance, if the role involves data cleaning, think about specific examples of how you have cleaned data in the past, and practice explaining your process.
To help you prepare for your interview, we have put together a list of commonly asked Data Analyst interview questions.
List of Data Analyst Interview Questions: Data-Related Questions
To see whether you have the necessary knowledge to excel at the job, employers may ask questions that test your understanding of processes and tools like SQL, Excel, statistical programming, and data visualization. Data-related interview questions may include:
- What do Data Analysts do?
- What is the process of data analysis?
- What are the important steps in the data validation process?
- What does “data cleansing” mean? What are the best ways to practice this?
- What is the difference between data profiling and data mining?
- What is KNN imputation method?
- What should a Data Analyst do with missing or suspected data?
- Name the different data validation methods used by Data Analysts.
- Define outlier.
- What is clustering? Name the properties of clustering algorithms.
- What is K-mean algorithm?
- What is an n-gram?
- What is a hash table collision? How can it be prevented?
- How should you tackle multi-source problems?
- What are the problems that a Data Analyst can encounter while performing data analysis?
- What are the characteristics of a good data model?
- Differentiate between variance and covariance.
- Explain normal distribution.
- Explain univariate, bivariate, and multivariate analysis.
- What are the advantages of version control?
- What is a pivot table, and what are the different sections of a pivot table?
- What is A/B testing?
List of Data Analyst Interview Questions: Technical Skills Questions
Employers will likely ask questions that put your technical Data Analyst skills to the test. They may want to know about your past experience with certain programs or tools, or they may ask you to solve a problem on the spot. For these types of questions, you will want to clearly show your thought process and how you arrived at your solution.
Some examples of technical Data Analyst skills questions that an interviewer may ask:
- Please share some past data analysis work you have done. Tell me about your most recent data analysis project.
- Which data analysis software are you trained in?
- What do you think are the criteria to say whether a developed data model is good or not?
- How have you dealt with messy data in the past?
- Can you share details about the largest data set you’ve worked with? How many entries and variables did the data set comprise? What kind of data was included?
- Have you ever used both quantitative and qualitative data within the same project?
- Have you ever created or worked with statistical models? If so, please describe how you’ve used it to solve a business task.
- What’s your knowledge of statistics and how have you used it in your work as a Data Analyst?
- What scripting languages have you used in your projects as a Data Analyst? Which one do you like best?
- How many years of SQL programming experience do you have? In your latest job, how many of your analytical projects involve using SQL?
- Which Excel functions have you used on a regular basis so far? Can you describe in detail how you’ve used Excel as an analytical tool in your projects?
- What’s your experience in creating dashboards? Can you share what data analytics tools you have used for the purpose?
- What are some of your best practices to ensure that you perform good, accurate, and informative data analysis?
- Explain how you would estimate how many shoes could potentially be sold in New York City each June.
- A car travels a distance of 60 miles at an average speed of 30 miles per hour. How fast does the car need to travel on the way back (taking the same road) in order to average 40 miles per hour over the course of the entire trip?
- How would you go about measuring the business performance of our company? What information do you think would be the most important to consider?
List of Data Analyst Interview Questions: Personal Questions
Personal questions are a way for employers to get to know your personality, work habits, and goals. Personal interview questions can help the interviewer assess how you may fit into their company’s work culture.
A few examples of personal interview questions for Data Analysts include:
- Tell me about yourself.
- Why do you want to be a Data Analyst?
- Which area of data analytics would you prefer to work in and why?
- What was your most difficult data analytics project?
- How do you handle pressure and stress?
- What are your long-term data analysis goals?
- Why should we hire you?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What are you passionate about?
- How do you evaluate success?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- What is your greatest strength?
- What type of work environment do you prefer?
- Which step of a data analysis project do you enjoy the most?
- Have you earned any data analytics certifications to boost your career opportunities as a Data Analyst?
List of Data Analyst Interview Questions: Leadership and Communication
Successful Data Analysts have the necessary leadership and communication skills to make decisions, solve problems, and share insights and findings. A few leadership and communication interview questions that you may encounter include:
- What are your communication strengths?
- Can you tell me about a time when you demonstrated leadership capabilities on the job?
- Describe a time when you had to persuade others. How did you get buy-in?
- In your role as a Data Analyst, have you ever recommended a switch to different processes or tools? What was the result of your recommendation?
- How would you assess your writing skills? When do you use written form of communication in your role as a Data Analyst?
- What is your experience presenting findings from data analysis to various audiences?
- Tell me about a time that you had to explain the results of your data analysis to stakeholders.
- How would you explain your findings and processes to an audience who might not know what a Data Analyst does?
List of Data Analyst Interview Questions: Behavioral
Candidates' past experiences can reveal a lot about their skills, knowledge, and abilities. For behavioral interview questions, you will want to provide specific examples of situations, as well as lessons you learned or skills you gained.
Examples of behavioral interview questions for Data Analysts include:
- Please talk about a time when you could not meet a deadline.
- Tell me about a time when you think you demonstrated good data sense.
- At times, you may work with stakeholders who lack a technical background and a deeper understanding of data and databases. Have you ever been in a situation like this and how did you handle this challenge?
- Tell me about a time you and your team were surprised by the results of a project.
- Why do you think creativity is important for Data Analysts? How have you used creative thinking in your work so far?
- Tell me about a time when you ran an analysis on the wrong set of data. How did you discover your mistake?
- Describe your most complex data analysis project from start to finish. What were the most difficult challenges, and how did you handle them?
- Tell me about a time when you designed an experiment. How did you measure success?
List of Data Analyst Interview Questions From Top Companies (Amazon, Google, Facebook, Microsoft)
Data analysis is a rapidly growing field, and companies are increasingly looking to hire the best talent to handle big data. Here are a few examples of interview questions for Data Analysts from some of the top tech companies:
- What are clustered and non-clustered indexes in SQL? Explain the difference between the two.
- You have 10 bags of marbles with 10 marbles in each bag. All but one bag has marbles that weigh 10g each. The exception has marbles that weigh 11g each. How would you determine which bag has 11g marbles using a scale only once?
- Describe data cleansing techniques you have used.
- How do you manage your time with solo projects?
- Which functions in SQL do you like the most?
- What is data normalization and non-normalization?
- What do you understand by cascading referential integrity?
- Tell me about a time you automated an otherwise manual process.
- Tell me about a time you started an analysis with certain expectations, but then got unexpected results
- If you were to pick a sample for an experiment, how would you choose the size of the sample?
Kick-Start Your Data Analyst Career
We offer a wide variety of programs and courses built on adaptive curriculum and led by leading industry experts.
- Work on projects in a collaborative setting
- Take advantage of our flexible plans and scholarships
- Get access to VIP events and workshops
Recommended Courses for Data Analyst
The part-time Data Analytics course was designed to introduce students to the fundamentals of data analysis.
Taught by data professionals working in the industry, the part-time Data Science course is built on a project-based learning model, which allows students to use data analysis, modeling, Python programming, and more to solve real analytical problems.