Learn more about one of the world’s most popular programming languages.
Making web pages interactive
- Creating buttons that will respond to a hovering mouse cursor. This can include changing color or showing or hiding additional information
- Embedding Google search boxes, YouTube videos, or scrolling multimedia playlists
- Allowing users to zoom in or zoom out on images or other content on the page
- Loading documents for a user without having to reload the entire web page
- Creating a variety of interactive menus, including drop-downs, hamburger menus, and more
- Displaying animations on the web page
- Validating data entered into websites for sign-up forms
Creating web and mobile applications
Typically, there are two types of APIs:
- Browser APIs
Browser APIs are built into web browsers and can do complex things (like audio processing and effects) with the data from the browser and surrounding computer environment.
- Third-party APIs
Third-party APIs are, by contrast, not built into a browser and you have to get their information from a third-party online. Most social media platforms, for example, will have their own API, allowing you to display things like posts and tweets on web pages.
Building web servers
Automate simple tasks
Make changes instantly
Communicate with a server
Get hands-on experience writing code with interactive tutorials in our free online learning platform.
- Free and fun
- Designed for beginners
- No downloads or setup required